Tuesday, January 12, 2010

sloppy joe turnover

I found this recipe for Sloppy Joe Turnovers at Little Birdie Secrets blog, her mom makes them every Christmas. This is the recipe they followed.

Sloppy Joe Turnovers

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. onion (you can sprinkle in dried, minced onion if you prefer)
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
10 oz. can refrigerated flaky biscuits

-Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet. Add ketchup, sour cream, salt and garlic powder. Simmer for 2 minutes. Roll out biscuits (just stretch them out a bit with your hands). Place a heaping spoonful of meat mixture in the center of each biscuit. Fold over the biscuit to cover meat and seal the edges with a fork. Cut a slit on the top of biscuit. Bake turnovers on a cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

You can go to here Sloppy Joe Turnovers for the full article including the pictures of how theirs turned out.

I didn't follow their recipe, but a modified version of their idea. I made the traditional can sloppy joe. And set that aside. I then made a batch of biscuits using the recipe off of the jiffy box. In hindsight I think my attempt would have ended out better had I used the refrigerated flaky biscuits. Although that is my perfectionism peaking through. My family though loved it the way it was.

I made the dough the night before and refrigerated it. Though that's not neccesary I just had time the night before to get some prep in.

Untitled

I then took some of the dough and rolled it out into a thin sheet with no real shape. I couldn't get it as thin as I wanted just rolling it out so I spread it out and pushed it down a little with my hands then rerolled it again.

Untitled

After I got it the desired thiness I took a spoon full of the sloppy joe mix and placed it on the uncoked dough. I then folded the dough over the mix and sliced around the fold. I then took a fork and pinched the edges all around to seal it closed. And then cut a slit in the top as a vent with scissors.

Untitled

Then placed on a cookie sheet to go into the oven. That I had preheated to 375.

Untitled

I cooked it for about 15 minutes. Or until it was golden brown.

Untitled

The final product looks a little oddly shaped and my version might have had smaller portion sizes, at least mine looked smaller than little birdies; but for a first attempt I am happy it at least turned out and that the family liked it. I think I will have to try doing it with the refrigerated biscuits just to have a comparison version to see which the family likes more. I might like it more just because it would save me time on not having to roll the biscuits out which was the most time consuming part of this dish.

2 comments:

  1. Turnovers are hard to make pretty. Mine never turn out presentable. Did they taste good enough to make again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they turned out fabulous and everyone loved them. The only thing to note is figure out how much you will consume without having leftovers. The leftovers just don't taste the same heated again.

    ReplyDelete