Monday, April 12, 2010

Cowgirl coat hanger redo

I started out with this


Removed the hooks that were simply screwed into the back.


Then tried to think of where I was going to place the cowgirl hanger turned decoration, either over the mirror or over the fuse box.

I then measure the space between the mirror and the ceiling since the mirror is higher than the fuse box.


The space between the mirror and the ceiling is 11 inches. The halfway point is 5 1/2 inches. The cowgirl sign is 5 1/2 inches from base to the top of the cowgirl hat and 4 1/2 inches from the base to the top of the L. After I took all the measurements I subtracted the measurements of the cowgirl sign from the available space between the mirror and the ceiling. Since I suck at fractions I counted each point on the ruler and calculated how much space I should have below and above the cowgirl sign if it was centered.


My next step was to place the sign above the mirror and take a picture to see how it would look above the mirror. Once screws were drilled it wouldn't be directly on top of the mirror so I adjusted my conception and just visualized it a little higher.


I then placed the sign above the fuse box and took another picture.
I then compared the two to pick the placement I liked best.

I then measured between each of the hanging plates on the back of the sign.
Then I took all the measurements I had and made a few marks on the wall. Note that making measurement markings on the wall a flat surface with a measuring tape is not easy with the part on the end; a fabric measuring tape would have made it easier.
Even with the measurments and the level I still didn't get the screws exactly spaced right, but it was good enough and just fit.
Look at the finished project, ask bf if he thinks it's level, bf says it's level, lay down and think about it, go back unscrew and measure and mark again and move the sign down a little more.


Look at the finished project for the second time this time satisfied it works and that I got at least that one thing off of my to-do list.
What do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment