Monday, April 12, 2010

cleaning the vintage high chair

I have a vintage red vinyl highchair that I got for free last year. I saw a posting on craigslist from a lady who was unloading everything in two garages for free, first come first serve. I got a few things from those garages, but this is one of my favorites. I had been on the look out for vintage items especially vinyl.

vintage highchair metal and red vinyl

Please ignore the mess surrounding the high chair.

As you can see although it's in very good condition, no rips and is structurally sound it doesn't look clean to eat off of. So I took some goo gone and attempted to clean it. Here it is after the first scrubbing.


Still doesn't look like you should eat off of it.


It appeared like the goo gone wasn't spreading all over. Goo gone is a very oily substance. I wasn't thinking at the time how water and oil don't mix very well, I just thought I wanted to spread out the solution more, so I combined it in a spray bottle with some water. That was when I was reminded of how oil and water don't mix, the oily solution went straight to the top. I did the only thing I could think of, before every spray I shook the bottle and sprayed. This helped to get some solution and some water. After I sprayed it I let it sit for a while.


This is what it looks like after it sat with the solution and I then scrubbed it again. Although it looks better then it did in the beginning it still shouldn't be eaten off of.


So in the end I used a bottle of goo gone from the dollar store and I got all of this off of the highchair and it's still not clean.
I was thinking of silver polish that you use on silverware and bowls and such. My bf thinks I should look for a metal cleaner. I don't know what I should use next. I would prefer to try other solutions to get it clean before I go to the last resort for this highchair which is spray paint. I love spray paint, but in this circumstance I would rather keep it original unless I end up not having any other choice.
Any suggestions?




No comments:

Post a Comment